How To Easily Make Braised Chicory In Only Ten Steps
Braised chicory (for four servings) :
Prepation : 5 minutes
Cooking : 60 minutes
- 1kg chicory
- 25g butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves
- Ground nutmeg
- Remove the limp leaves from the chicory, cut the lower part and remove the bitter one. Slightly incise crosswise the chicory, it will help to get a more homogeneous cooking.
- Rinse the chicory in cold water and chop garlic.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan and add the chicory with the lower parts towards the center of the frying pan.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.
- When done, add salt, pepper and ground nutmeg.
- Sprinkle with chopped garlic, pour 10cl water and pull the lid back to cover.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Pull the lid off. If the juice is almost gone, pour 5cl more water.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes more while stirring from time to time.
- When the juice is almost gone, add sugar and let caramelize for a few minutes on each side, done !
If you want some cooking juice on your braised chicory, you can pour 5 to 10cl more water at the end of the cooking. A leg of lamb will go very well with your braised chicory.