How To Easily Make Cassoulet In Only Fourteen Steps
Cassoulet (for eight servings) :
Preparation : 60 minutes
Cooking : 180 minutes
- 750g white beans
- 16 saucisson slices
- 8 non smoked sausages
- 4 fresh pork belly strips
- 4 smoked pork belly strips
- 2 duck confit can (4 duck legs)
- 70g canned tomato paste
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 bouquet garni (a bundle of aromatic herbs including at least thyme, bay leaf and parsley)
- The day before, let the white beans in cold water.
- The next day, drain the white beans and start to cook them in a large saucepan.
- Cover with cold water, add the garlic cloves and the bouquet garni.
- Add the tomato paste and the saucisson slices.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 45 minutes.
- In a pan, brown the fresh pork belly strips and the non smoked sausages.
- When done, add them to the large saucepan.
- Add salt and pepper and let simmer for 1 hour while stirring from time to time.
- Take off the 4 ducks legs from the confit can, rinse them to skim off the fat.
- Separate the upper legs from the lower one.
- Add them in the large saucepan and let simmer 30 minutes more. Check the seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 110 ° / 230 ° F (thermostat 3-4).
- Rub with garlic a stoneware casserole dish and gently spread the mixture from the large saucepan. The sauce must reach the same level as the white beans.
- Put in the oven for about 1h to 2 hours, done !
The more your cassoulet simmer, the better it will get. You can even prepare it the day before because the next day, it will be tastier.
If your stoneware casserole dish is not big enough, you can spread the mixture in a second one.
A dry red wine is highly recommended with your Cassoulet !