How To Easily Make Chicken Marengo In Only Fourteen Steps
Chicken Marengo (for six servings) :
Preparation : 20 minutes
Cooking : 60 minutes
- A 2kgs chicken
- 60g butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 40g flour
- 20cl poultry stock
- 20cl dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Cognac
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 tomatoes
- 12 button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cut the raw chicken.
- Add both salt and pepper on the chicken pieces.
- Peel both onions and garlic then chop them.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a casserole dish to brown the chicken pieces. Cook until each side are golden brown.
- Add both chopped onions and garlic. Stir to make them brown with the chicken pieces.
- Add the flour then put a few minutes in the oven to roast.
- When done, put the casserole dish back on the stove and slowly add the poultry stock and the white wine. Bring to a boil.
- Then cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Peel the tomatoes, seed then crush them.
- Clean the button mushrooms, drain and slice them.
- Add both crushed tomatoes and sliced mushrooms to the casserole dish.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir from time to time so that the sauce will not stick the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Around 10 minutes before the end of cooking, add the Cognac.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley right before serving, done !
Roasted potatoes or steamed potatoes will go very well with your chicken marengo. Rice or pasta can fit the bill too !
A dry red wine is highly recommended with your chicken marengo.